Thursday, August 11, 2011

1-12 Sashimi Platter

 have had rather bad cravings for japanese food lately, i wonder why HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :P
 i tried out a new clay for the 'stoneware', it's "Tebineri Clay" which is according to the website, is a pottery polymer clay. essentially, you work it like you would air dry clay (or real pottery clay i suppose, but ionos cos i've never worked with 'actual' pottery clay before), let dry before baking at 160 deg celcius. working with it is tricky, cos it dries really fast in this climate, but even when dry is really brittle, however after baking, it's waterproof and quite sturdy.
of course it's not as strong as ceramic or pottery would be, i'd say it's about as sturdy as if you'd made a similar plate out of polymer clay. it's a clay i could definitely work with alot as it combines my fave properties of both air dry and polymer clays.

 
made this chrysanthemum out of FIMO polymer clay. very fiddly and after making just 2 teeny and 2 larger ones my hands cramped up LOL
inspiration for the sashimi platter (inclusive of the plate) came from a take-away menu LOL

can't tell you how pleased i am with how it turned out ^ ^ of course me being my worst critic, there are multiple areas which i can improve upon....*mutters* next, WHOLE FISH *shudders*

on the personal front, the workshops are over~! some of you may have already viewed the pictures over on my facebook...not gonna link it cos double chins aren't all that attractive (maybe i should grow a beard to hide mine) but i'm so happy to see photos of my students enjoying the classes :) judging is this saturday, i'll try to remember to take photos hee hee. also, Crystarlia has taken more beautiful pictures of her dolls with some of my works ^ ^ you can view them in her flickr stream!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystarlia/

Thanks CH!!! ^ ^

k time to rest my hands again T-T

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous platter, Cindy!!! The chrysanthemums are beautiful though reading about the process is making my fingers curl, yikes. Muchos gracias for the heads up on Tebineri. Will pop over to Flickr...<3!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.. YUM! Fabulous job Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I am impressed Cindy.This is gorgeous!!! Amazingly perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OG OMG OMG the platter I like , the food I'd taste but the chrysanthemums ..... they leave me wordless!!! Please take care of your hands, they are far too precious! minihugs Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous!!! The food is delicious and the platter is so "ZEN"! Superbe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, your chrysanthemums!!!!!!!!!! They are incredibly gooooooooooooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you all so much! i finally got my workspace all set up in the office, am getting used to working here (and travelling) it's nice to see you all pop by ^ ^ makes me feel like my blog isn't worth giving up on haha :X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to comment! :D